Despite the numerous physical and mental benefits associated with strength training, fear often becomes a significant barrier that prevents people from taking that first step.
In this article, we will explore common reasons people fear starting to strength train and discuss ways to overcome these apprehensions.
Intimidation and Lack of Confidence:
● Fear: The gym can be intimidating, especially for beginners. Weights lifted, and the sight of seasoned lifters can make newcomers feel out of place and insecure.
● Solution: It’s important to remember that everyone was a beginner once. The vast majority of gym members love seeing new members wanting to progress. To feel more comfortable, training with a personal trainer or training at a quieter time when the gym is less busy may be worthwhile.
Fear of Injury:
● Fear: Many are concerned about getting injured during strength training.
● Solution: The most important point here is to progress gradually and work on consistency rather than working too intensely to start. Seek guidance to reassure you that you’re training appropriately. Building your physical strength is one of the best things you can do to prevent injury.
● Fear: Some fear that incorporating strength training into their routine will require too much time and effort.
● Solution: Many people can benefit significantly from strength training just twice a week. Depending on your goals, it doesn’t need to take over your life! For those who can’t make it to the gym, flexible home-based programs can be a good starting point.
Uncertainty About Where to Begin:
● Fear: Not knowing where to start or how to create an effective strength training program can be overwhelming.
● Solution: With so much information out there, this is indeed an issue. However, help is at hand from a wide variety of sources. From local fitness professionals to online resources or fitness apps. Ensure the information you get is relevant to your requirements and from a reliable source.
Embarking on a strength training journey can be a transformative experience, both physically and mentally. By understanding and addressing the fears associated with starting strength training, you can take the initial steps toward a healthier, stronger, and more confident version of yourself. Remember, the key is to start small, stay consistent, and celebrate progress.
If you would like to discuss starting your strength training journey, please get in touch with us here or call us on 01432 271576
Good habits rely on flexibility and convenience. Having all of our sessions available via our On Demand library gives you the ability to access great training anytime, anyplace.
Whether you live too far away to visit frequently or prefer the comfort of training at home, our LIVE training program will deliver great results. No matter what you’re looking to achieve, we’ve proven results using this method of training.
Located north and south of the Wye, our two well appointed Hereford gyms, give members from the county and further afield easy access to our services. Both also providing shower and changing facilities and the chance to grab a post workout tea or coffee!